With the coronavirus pandemic causing financial hardships for many individuals and families in the region, San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) is encouraging those in need to apply online for bill discount programs, which can save 30% or more off their utility bill. Many people who previously couldn’t take advantage of these income-based programs may now qualify due to lost wages – even if they’re receiving unemployment benefits. These programs include:
- California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE): Provides a 30% or more discount on SDG&E bills. Qualification is based on participation in certain public assistance programs or household income as of today. Apply at sdge.com/CARE.
- Family Electric Rate Assistance (FERA): If a customer doesn’t qualify for CARE, they may qualify for FERA, which provides income-qualified households of three or more with a reduced electric rate (18% discount) on their monthly bill. Learn more at sdge.com/FERA.
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP): A federally funded program that helps low-income households with their energy bills. Find details on sdge.com/LIHEAP.
SDG&E urges customers who are struggling to pay their utility bill to call its Customer Contact Center at 1-800-411-7343 to learn about flexible payment options. Visit sdge.com/coronavirus for updates on the coronavirus pandemic and how SDG&E is helping, and learn more about SDG&E’s assistance programs at sdge.com/assistance.
Social posts: SDG&E offers bill discount programs to help customers in need
- Did you know SDG&E has several assistance programs such as CARE, FERA and LIHEAP? If your wages have been impacted by COVID-19, you may qualify – even if you are receiving unemployment benefits. Learn more at com/assistance. #sdge #energytips4u
- Struggling to pay your bills due to lost wages? SDG&E has bill discount programs that can help customers experiencing financial hardships save 30% or more on monthly bills. Find out if you qualify at com/assistance. #sdge #energytips4u
- SDG&E is encouraging customers in need to apply online for bill discount programs, which can save 30% or more off their monthly utility bill. Find out if you qualify at com/assistance. #sdge #energytips4u
- If you’re having trouble paying your SDG&E bill, don’t hesitate to call 1.800.411.7343 to make payment arrangements. To learn about additional programs that can help you manage your utility bills, visit com/assistance. #sdge #energytips4u